Popular Posts

4 August 2004
South Korean Flag





Korea Life Blog - Fahrenheit 9/11


Julie and I finally saw Fahrenheit 9/11 on Sunday. I don't know why it took so long to come here. In Korean it's called Hwa-sshi 9/11. I don't want to get political on my website, there are lots of other ones out there specializing in that field, but I've been a Moore fan ever since his ground breaking documentary on GM's pull-out of Flint Michigan, Roger and Me. I will say I agree that Fahrenheit 9/11 reminds us that we need to see and hear more than the government and media allow. The scenes of the war in Iraq and it's horrors and the effect losing a son (to a seemingly unworthy cause) has on a family are among the things we should be seeing, in my opinion.

Koreans seem to love the movie. We couldn't get tickets anywhere either Friday or Saturday. Sunday we went all the way to Seoul Theater in Jongro and got the last two tickets and we were 4 hours early. The theater was jammed packed. I hate to say it, but I was stuck next as an enormously overweight foreigner - eating popcorn and slurping down a huge cola - who flowed over into my chair leaving me squashed against Julie. Still, I'm glad we went and I really enjoyed the film. Julie too. She was dumbfounded as we left the theater, looking at me a bit oddly, and saying, "What is wrong with your country's government?" I take it that's a question most people wondered as they walked into the Korean night. For others, including me, it just confirmed the fact the world in general, not only the US, is run by a bunch of unscrupulous and manipulative assholes.



Here is the promotional movie flyer for the film. I took a couple for memorabilia.



Here's another for the upcoming Tom Hanks movie. He's one of my favorite actors and I'll be sure to see this.

0 comments :

Post a Comment