Popular Posts

25 May 2004
South Korean Flag





Korea Life Blog - KOBA 2004



Here are the photos of the broadcasting/recording and lighting equipment show Julie and I went to on Saturday.



The event was held on the third floor of Coex super mall in Samseong-dong. There were several "halls" full of the latest technologies. A massive showcase with at least a millions of dollars worth of equipment. This would not be the time for an earthquake.







Hey can someday show me how to work this thing? Does anybody know how to work this thing? Hello?




I came here specifically to check out the Fostex section, which unfortunately was very small. I was hoping to see one of those multi track recording/effects machines with the built in cd-burners.




They did have one model, but this one is the bare basic version and uses compact flash memory instead of a hard drive. I ended up trying this out later at the Nakwon music center which I dragged Julie to again. Luckily they let me try it out. Turns out the effects sounded really bad, though I'm not 100% sure if that was because of the speaker he connected it too. Still, I didn't want to take a chance. Also, the price for this is $150 more than in the states. Needless to say, I decided not to get it. I'll bring Julie back there this weekend and see else what I can look at for an hour and not buy.



"We are the world, we are the children..." Quick, how do I press record?




Lots and lots of mixing and recording equipment to oggle at. I guess this would be any producer's heaven on earth.




A couple of Korean dudes hanging out, one playing a bass, engaged in some thought provoking conversation it seemed. There was also a lot of amplifier/speaker equipment here but the pic I took came out all blurry. You can see some in the background in this pic at least.




Look there! It's an apple iMac. I almost bought one of those before. Julie was excited. She wants a Mac now and there was an Apple show going on.



Here's the Apple booth with somebody giving a live tutorial of Apple video production software.



A beautiful Apple flatscreen display showing easy to use recording software. I almost want to buy a Mac just to use GarageBand.



Julie was fascinated. She's here checking out the mouse and wondering where the scroll wheel and right buttons are.



Oooh, ahhh...the insides of a powerful G5 computer. It's these kinds of systems that are used in much of Hollywood movie productions and every other kind of productions for that matter. I used to have an iBook, back when OSX first came out. I really liked it. My friend has been using his for 4 years now and not a single virus or other problem. The only reason I sold mine was because at the time I was into games, and a lot of games weren't available in Mac versions...wish I still had that computer now though.



Lots of tutorials and demonstrations going on everywhere. It would have been more exciting if I could understand what they were saying. I wanted to watch the Adobe software show.



I was trying to get a picture of that huge, crystal clear display there but people kept walking by. Finally I gave up and ended up with this shot. I want one of those screens in my apartment.



There was also lighting equipment displays, but I did a horrible job of photographing any of the actual equipment. On the wall you can see some of the lighting effects they were modelling anyway.



One last shot. Yay, more mixing equipment. Each unit in it's own right is pretty damn amazing, but all together it's overwhelming. One thing though - I just can't believe technology. I can't even figure out how to use things like these, let alone comprehend how people engineer them.

0 comments :

Post a Comment