Popular Posts

1 January 2004
South Korean Flag




Korea Life Blog - Jongro Cinecore Trip 2



After walking and taking a bunch of pictures (which I'll get to sooner or later) we spotted the theater. To get there you get take the subway to Jongro 3 Ga, go out exit 15 and walk straight for about 5-10 minutes to the busy intersection and turn left.




Here's what's playing. The third one up is the Silmido poster. The building looks cool on the outside, but it's really a bad design. There's no escalator and there are huge lines for the 2 elevators. When you get to the floor of your movie, you have to wait around the hallway or on the stairs until the theater is ready.




This picture is self-explanatory. There's not a single thing I can elaborate on.



We were well over an hour early but the only seats left were in the second row.
I took this dark shot before the movie started. I was surprised to find hardly any foreigners were there; it was packed with Koreans. I'm not sure why Koreans would want to watch the movie with English subtitles. Either they were just curious, wanted to practice their English a little, or they just wanted to see the movie at that time. I'm assuming the latter, but it kind of defeats the purpose of the showing, seeing that many foreigners probably arrived to find tickets were sold out. All in all I spotted about 5 or 6 foreigners. Not what I expected.


As for the movie, I don't want to comment too much on it. While the story itself is very interesting, the film drags. It's over two hours and the scenes are repetitive, tiring and overly dramatic. A few scenes, especially near the end, are plain outrageous. Both Julie and I were anxious for it to end. However, some people seemed to really be getting into it. The Korean girl next to us kept crying. But for Julie and I it was pretty disappointing. Based on such a powerful story, it's a shame the movie just falls flat.


Stay tuned for the rest of the pictures from around Jongro.