Popular Posts

30 December 2003
South Korean Flag




Korea Life Blog - Jongro Cinecore Trip 1

Over the next few days I will show the pictures I took last Sunday when Julie and I went Jongro. We went to see Silmido, a new Korean movie, at Cinecore theater. This theater, to my delight, is experimenting with showing new Korean movies with English subtitles. Overall we had a great time. Grab a cup of coffee and come along with us.



I met Julie in Sadang station, as usual. Amazingly a bus goes right there from Nowhere-dong, the tiny town I live in outside of Suwon. I love the public transportation system in Korea. The bus comes every half-hour and the trip only takes between 45 minutes and an hour. The longer the better - I usually read a book. On this trip I read a few chapters of the classic Blue Highways, by William Least Heat Moon. Julie is looking good and fashionable as usual with her new coat, fresh haircut, and red bag. Too bad she walks away when she sees my camera.




The Korean subway system always amazes me. The trains come every couple of minutes and if you have to wait you can check out advertisements on these flat-panel screens. As if on cue, there's one now showing the movie we're going to see.




Before jumping on the train I whipped out the camera to take a pic. This foreigner snickered at me, as if to say, "Chi, look at this new guy taking pics of the subway." To spite him I'm posting this picture of his bald head. Muhahah! Take that, Mr. Experienced Goonball!





Once in Jongro, we walked around a bit and then stopped off to eat. Here's a shot of the menu.




I bet your just drooling right now. Look at this wonderful dish. It's kimchi U-dong, or kimchi and Japanese style noodle soup. Damn I love Korean food. My eyes practically popped out of their sockets when I saw this, the dish boiling hot, the delicious aroma, the warm steam on a cold day.



And here she is, my gal. She ordered a Japanese styled pork cutlet, don cass. It was delicious; I know this, because we shared our meals. The only thing I don't like about eating with Julie is that she gets full very quickly. When she finishes she sits and watches me, making me feel like a complete pig. Look at her skinny body. Even though I exercise regularly and she doesn't, I just can't compete. And she likes to remind me a little to frequently that my stomach has been getting bigger. Thanks, Julie!

The delicious meal cost a meager 11,000 won. That's just under $10. There's no tax or tipping either, which still amazes me. I hoped you enjoyed the meal as much as I did. Stay tuned for the next part.