Popular Posts

10 October 2003
South Korean Flag



Korea Life Blog - World Cup Reminiscence



Long after the Word Cup, decorations such as these still remain - and probably will for years to come. Just looking at the picture brings back memories of hoards of fans wearing "Be the Reds" T-shirts chanting "Dae Han Min Guk!" (clap clap clapclap clap!), "Oh Pilsung Korea," and "We are the Champions." I was fortunate enough to be here during that time. Although I didn't see a game first hand. I was part of the massive crowds watching the games on big screen TVs. It was a wonderful time to be a foreigner here. Xenophobia ceased to exist, strangers hugged me and took my picture, girls who would never have looked twice at me before had a sudden, overwhelming interest in me. A far cry from the Apolo Anton Ohno incident at which time songs of "Fucking USA" and other anti-American sentiment swept the land , everybody hated me and I had to say I was from Canada.

0 comments :

Post a Comment