Popular Posts

11 January 2005
South Korean Flag








KLB - Wireless


I bought the Averatec laptop computer I wanted but no camera yet. I may hold off on that for a bit. I really didn't expect to sell the Minolta so quickly, to be truthful. Then again, I didn't think I'd sell the computer that quickly either. However, the deals were fair and I have an advantage that I can advertise on my website.

The computer is pretty nice for the money. I'd take a picture of it but I have no camera, heh. I won't bore everyone about it anyway, but I will say that it has built in wireless. Now I can hang out at Starbucks across the street and look like a hip, post modern foreign intellectual (or just another pretentious schmuck). OK - here it is exactly for those who may be wondering. You can figure out the specs even if you can't read Korean. The only difference is we had the memory doubled.





We called our internet provider, KT, today and the guy came with the wireless modem. This service, called Nespot, costs the same ($30/month) as the regular DSL service and the speed is just as fast. I can't believe it really. The internet service in Korea is nothing short of amazing.

I felt kind of bad for the KT guy. He was having a bit of trouble with something and the English Windows version was making it more difficult. Also, Julie was at work and so he struggled (unnecessarily) to explain how to use the set-up. Actually, it was kind of ridiculous:

"This is power button," he said. (on computer)

"Um, really? I see."

"Computer on, light here."

"Great."

"Wireless internet button...um, uh, mmm, uh, push! - push on."

(how much more obvious can you get - the button clearly says wireless on/off)

"Computer boot now. Internet start. Password saved. Auto connect." (at this point it didn't connect because of the problem I mentioned he had. He spent the next 15 minutes mumbling to himself before figuring out. Then we went through all of the above conversation starting with "power button" again).

Anyway, it's not rocket science. I start the computer and poof, I'm connected wirelessly to the internet. Still, I thanked him for trying so hard to speak English for me.

This week started pretty well at the school. It's taking a bit of getting used to teaching for 100 minutes/class, but so far so good. Luckily I have mastered the art of teaching effectively by teaching slowly - so I can make limited resources last a long time. When I first started teaching in Korea I had no idea what I was doing and would nervously zip through 4-5 pages of a book in one class. The kids learned nothing that way, of course, and the book didn't last long enough. Now I can make even just one page last several days by employing a variety of teaching techniques with the material. Also, I've decided to start from scratch with the first two classes by teaching phonics so that everyone can read, not just 60-70% of them. I have mostly the same kids too, minus a handful and plus some new ones. The news kids are pretty good...not too bright but quiet anyway.

Cathy had to watch another class at another school on her day off last week. Though she was annoyed about that, she did come back with a few good ideas. As you know, I had been dreading working with her so long everyday, and conflict is bound to arise, but it really would be a lot harder without her there with the long classes. Her preseence does keep some of the kids, especially the younger ones, in line. I don't think I could control Class A for 2 hours by myself. She's even been teaching a bit, to my surprise - mostly games. She is really good at teaching games, to be truthful - though it helps that she can explain the directions in Korean, which she has been doing despite her nervousness. As long as she can help out a bit like that the month should go well. In any case, no matter how hard it may be, it's definitely worth the money for one month. It's like working a regular full time job but for twice the pay.

0 comments :

Post a Comment