Popular Posts

19 December 2004
South Korean Flag








KLB - Smurfy Home Theater


Christmas has come a bit early around here. We went all around the big electronics market yesterday in Yongsan, but we just couldn't find a better deal than the Home Theater set they have up the street at Homeplus.

So, this is my gift to us for Christmas. Julie will be buying a pretty nice bed frame/mattress today from CJV Home Shopping. Korean bed sets are sleek and it should look pretty nice in here, except we'll have less room then. Personally, I've been in Korea so long that I've become accustomed to hanging out and sleeping on the floor, actually preferring the big empty spaces to the clutter of furniture. Also, sleep on the floor (well actually a thin mat) has been very good for my back. However, Julie really wants the bed, and I'm sure after 6 months without one, it will feel very nice to sleep in style.



It took a lot longer than it should have to set all this up. The damn speaker stand kit - which they tied to charge us 50,000 won for ($47) until Julie talked them into giving it to us for free - turned out to be a major pain in the ass. They bases just wouldn't line up right. We must have run those long wires through the stands 50 times in the process. Oh well, it's done now. Julie's feet - sold separately.



The sound really is great for the money. I paid just under 300,000 won (about $285) for the set, which includes the nice DVD player and 5 speakers. But we're also going to sell our previous DVD player too, so it's that much less. We're going to buy a bigger stand, which we'll need when the new bed comes.

If anyone wants to buy our basic DVD player, the DMTech, it works fine and is only 4 months old. We'll take 75,000 won:






Gargamel will be guarding it in the meantime...

By the way, that reminds me. They've release Season 1 of the Smurfs on DVD, but only in Australia for now, of all places. That pisses me off. I hope they release them here so I can watch them on my DVD player, which is set for region 3. I don't feel like going out and getting the DVD player modded to play all regions just for the smurf disc. I can still watch them on the computer though, which is region free.





You can also pre-order the new 2005 smurfs release, which this year is really cool. After a lot of complaints, including a few e-mails from me, they've finally gone back to the classic-style smurfs, rather than these corny new ones they've been making every year such as "cellphone smurf" and "computer smurf" which has them dressed up in gay colored clothes. Well, no more of that for now.



A really nice set. I'm probably going to buy it sooner or later, once it is released officially. I do wish, however, that they'd release a new Gargamel figure for a change. They've made 10 new (mostly silly) smurfs every year for the past 15-20 years, but not a single new Gargamel since the 80s. I don't get it. And, why are the original Gargamel figures the same size as the smurf ones - and Azrael is too. Click on the pictures and take a look at all of the cool smurf toys that are readily available to order. I bet you didn't know they're still making all these toys, did you? If you were a fan, why not pick up a little memento such as Gargamel's Castle or a few smurf houses.



Well, time to order a pizza and watch some more 3,000 won ($2. 90) DVDs which I picked up in Yongsan. I've got classic Stallone and Arnold here. By the way, some street vendors had a bunch of DVDs of movies that are in the theater right now in the states or not yet released on DVD anyway, such as Sniper, National Treasure, Meet The Farkers, and a host of others. My friend in China gets any DVD for just $1 each, though, so they're not that great a deal unless you're dying to see something now.

0 comments :

Post a Comment