Popular Posts

12 October 2004
South Korean Flag





Korea Life Blog - Island of Fantasy Comes to Korea



My book will be available in Korea by the end of the week. I'm getting a proof copy in the mail tomorrow. It looks like it will cost just 10,000 won and you should be able to order it from me directly and/or pick it up at a few book stores to be announced. More details to come soon.


Work is going really well. I guess I've been doing a good job because we've attracted seven new students. Almost all of them seem to fit right in with one exception, an older elementary student who doesn't even know the alphabet well.

By the way, on the train on the way to work, I witnessed and ajusshi and I guess his wife having a huge argument that involved a lot of screaming and swearing in Korean. Unfortunately, I have no idea what they were fighting about. Times like that I really regret having such limited Korean skills. I wanted to know what all the fuss was over. It went on for 20 minutes until I got off the train.

Today, as I was teaching, Bonnie from the agency popped in. She was there to meet with the school and also to decorate the spare classroom. Then, all of a sudden, a little bit later, a Korean woman came into the classroom and sat down and started taking notes. I had no idea who she was. I thought she must be a parent, or someone else reviewing my teaching. So, I went up and beyond the call of duty and really did a good lesson, which isn't really hard since the kids are so good and since I have a lot of experience teaching now and tons of materials. However, I was jumping all over, making jokes, inspiring even the worst kids to take part - basically the performance of a lifetime. Then I found out after class that this woman is just a new Korean assistant for a foreigner who will be starting soon at a different school. Oh well, unbeknownst to him/her, that new foreigner has some expectations to live up to now.

That's about all. Here's a picture of me and James and John from this weekend. That's also Julie in the background giving the rabit ears. James already posted the pic on his site, too. We all went out to the clubs in Hongdae and had a blast over the weekend. Well, James was a little tired though. Click on the photo to go to his site.



Also be sure to check out John's site for more.

0 comments :

Post a Comment