Popular Posts

24 February 2004
South Korean Flag





Korea Life Blog - Windy (3)

Nothing at all interesting to report today. The only thing of note was the "Adult" class, or should I call it, Windy's Therapy session. I REALLY wish I had a digital recorder tonight. Someone please let me borrow theirs!

She told me about her religion. She's Catholic. While this is so, she had no idea who "Jesus" is (in Korean or English) and she pronounced God as Gote (granted she knew His name at least, Hana Nim). Anyway, she only goes to Church twice a year. Christmas and:

Her: You know. The egg d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-day. Cow's home. Gote born in c-c-c-cow's home that day.

Me: Christmas? Jesus's birth?

Her: No. Cow's home. What is it?

Me: Farm? Barn?

Her: Yes, barn! That's it. Gote born in the barn. Eggs. Paint the eggs.

Me: Easter! I see. But you have Christmas and Easter confused, also God and Jesus.

I tried to explain but she got embarrassed. She told me how she used to be Catholic, but that her husband's parents didn't like it. They're Buddhists. So now her daughters are Buddhists and she's nothing. The story gets weird again:

Her: Underwear.

Me: Huh?

Her: We have to underwear to B-b-b-b-b-b-Buddha.

Me: You give your underwear to Buddha?

Her: If we're a bad year. Then we write our address on our underwear and give it to Buddha.

Me: What? Come on! What does he do with it, sell it on the internet? I joked. She laughed hysterically.

Her: I don't like this b-b-but my mother law wants it so we do.

Me: But Buddha is dead? Who takes the underwear? Where does it go?

Her: Temple. I d-d-d-d-d-don't know. I don't like it.

Me: I'd be worried about writing your name and address on you and your daughters' underwear. You know, perverts.

More laughing. She laughs at anything I say, actually. After several more "interesting" topics that went on endlessly for a long 50 minutes, it finally ended. My head spinning, I bolted straight home. I need a beer!

I forgot to mention that Stan, one of the male students showed up yesterday out of the blue...drunk. He's Windy's co-worker at the Office of Agriculture. (That's right. Windy works in an Agriculture center and gives lectures to farmers about farming techniques and soil and does hundred of other miscellaneous agricultural and unrelated duties I'll tell about some other time). He sat at the end of the table, thumbing through a cookbook and didn't say a word. A couple of times he started laughing at nothing. After class he stumbled out the door. Windy said he must be upset about something, but refused to believe he was drunk. "I asked him today at office, 'W-w-w-w-were you drunken last night?' and he said no." She believed him. He didn't come again tonight.

Update:

By request, I made a new page dedicated to Windy and the adult class. It will even have its own archive! Take a look, I updated it tonight.

0 comments :

Post a Comment